Friday, February 1, 2008

MARCH 20 - APRIL 30

Mar 20 Radiation began a week ago. Today was burn #6. Just 36 more to do! Pretty much routine already. Five days a week at 2PM, though they've rarely been on time. Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays are a bit longer: Mondays I see the oncologist; Tuesdays they take film (to ensure they are aiming right); and Fridays I see the nurse for vital signs, etc. Weekends are off to allow the healthy cells exposed to radiation to heal. The cancer cells also repair to a degree, but not as rapidly as the healthy ones. Doctor answered many of my questions yesterday. Yes, radiation can cause other cancers and a breakdown of one's immune system, but we're looking at 20-30 years down the road. Routine bloodwork, which is common with many cancers, is not necessary for prostate cancer. No particular reason why she chose 42 treatments. Standard procedure at St. Luke's. She did not object to my refusal to be chemically castrated because of the smallness of my prostate and complained that too many urologists over use this procedure for $$$. Surprise, surprise! She wasn't impressed with my Johns Hopkins "expert" pathological report which lowered my Gleason score from 3+4=7 to 3+3=6. Better prognosis, to be sure, but not enough to alter the radiation schedule at all. Some humor:Went to the spa at 12:45. Did my rolling machine bit, then steamroom. Showered and toweled off. As I dressed, I noticed that my shoes and socks were GONE! A couple of guys helped me look through all the empty lockers; the manager searched the entire premises. No socks and shoes to be found and my appointment at St. Rita's just a quarter of an hour ahead. A buddy loaned me his size 12 tennis shoes so that I wouldn't have to walk into the hospital barefooted. Talk about looking like a circus clown! We all thought that Keith, the spa prankster was responsible for the missing shoes and socks (he's
done it before to others), but as it turned out a guy with severe Alzheimer's had walked off with them! What a hoot! All's well that ends well.

Mar 23 Preventative maintenance scheduled for the radiation machine this afternoon, so treatment was moved up to 8:50AM, In and out quickly; back home by 9:30AM. Drew blood and checked my vital signs. Blood pressure significantly lower than last week. Still very upbeat! Looking forward to a two day rest, though.

April 2 Zap # 15 today; 27 to go! The worst part of this is that I'm on a schedule . . . just like working again!!! More frequent peeing with some urgency and some burning. Oncologist told me today, after waiting 45 minutes after the Zap, that I will probably get worse. Feeling more tired than usual; little chores outside tax my stamina. The pictures they take (tomorrow), are to see if they are "aiming" right! Dr. Timmerman, a really nice lady, calls me "Doc", knowing I have a Ph.D. Not many MD's would be so gracious. Complained that their blood pressure
machine hurt honestly thought that it was so tight that it cut off circulation to my lower arm. Said that they won't use it on me anymore. We'll see.

April 10 Zap #21 today!!!!! Half-way home. Only 21 more to do. Actually, I should say "zaps" rather than "zap." I have three permanent tattoos the radiation technologists use to position me on the radiation table, using laser lights. One on each hip and the third about an inch above the base of my penis (they've trimmed my pubic hair twice so far). The procedure is that I sit bare ass on the table with my hospital gown on. A therapist then slides my leg cast under me. Then two female therapists on both sides of me take a towel and slide it under the gown to cover my privates. Then they flap up the gown to my chest and move the towel down just far enough to see the middle tattoo. About half the time they go too far and have to back up a bit!!! Giggle!
Then, with the lights off, they align me according to the red-line lasers. They then leave, the room lights come on and the foot-wide lead door is closed. I get six individual zaps, all at different angles. The first zap is about 4-5 seconds aimed at the left hip tattoo; the second is about 10 seconds aimed at the same tattoo; the third is about 4-5 seconds aimed at the pubic tattoo; the next three zaps are identical on the right side. Amount of time on the table is about 10 minutes. Amount of time at the Oncology Center varies between a half-hour and an hour and a half. Mondays are longer because I have to see the oncologist; Tuesdays are longer because they take pictures; Fridays are longer because I have to have my vitals done or have blood drawn. Side-effects are right on line: more frequent and urgent urination with burning (the bladder suffers collateral damage, as does the rectum). The diarrhea phase may have started this morning, though it may have been the tainted prime rib we ate last night at a restaurant!! Unfortunately, Freida reports no problem! LOL. Oncologist tells me that my normal "walnut-size" prostate will end up like a quarter (coin). Ah, the power of ZAP! Still in good spirits and very positive!

April 13 Good Friday. We had intended, as usual, to visit Jane and Doug in Louisville for the Easter weekend, but didn't want to chance it because of the side-effects of radiation. So we stayed home and I had zap 24 (18 to go). I had the option to skip today, but obviously passed. Burning pee continues as well as urgency and heightened frequency. Had diarrhea on Tuesday and Wednesday, but has since subsided. Starting to read up on and pay a little more attention to what I should be doing diet-wise. Off of orange juice and tea; try to eat at least one banana a day, and cut back on the coffee. Booze is a no-no too, but I can't deprive myself of everything!!

April 30 Really nothing urgent to report. I have eight treatments (out of 42) remaining and still no major side effects. To be sure, I'm pleased as punch. But, like the oncologist advises, I'm not counting my chickens before they're hatched. Burning pee is about the extent of it, along with occasional fatigue (not as bad as I had been told to expect). Still maintaining my daily schedule: Watch Freida leave from the bedroom window at 6:45 or so; back to bed for at least an hour and a half (sometimes WAY longer); get up and wake up the computer to check e-mail and the stock market; take my pills and give Gizzmo his pills (he's a good pill taker); do some housekeeping, but haven't been making the bed (like an occasional short nap); take Gizzmo and me for a walk down the road; resume computer activity, playing Bingo (and making money) along the way; more housework, then lunch (hooked on Lipton's regular Noodle Soup or the bountiful doggybag chow remaining from our favorite restaurants. Have been eating our own fresh green onions for over a week now; radish should be ready in about a week. Of course, I'm not supposed to be eating onions or radish!!! LOL. Upbeat as hell! Gonna beat this insidious disease! The quarter sized growth on my arm, which was biopsied, was NOT malignant! Very relieved! Didn't want to fight two cancers at the same time!

No comments: